Hawaii’s Emergency Management Agency on Saturday clarified that an alert of a ballistic missile threat sent to people across the island was a false alarm.
“Hawaii doesn’t really have fallout shelters”.
“We believe that it is imperative that we be prepared for every disaster, and in today’s world, that includes a nuclear attack”, Ige said in November.
U.S. Representative Tulsi Gabbard, a Hawaii Democrat, told CNN television Saturday that the first message had started a panic.
Hawaii emergency officials confirmed that an alert about a ballistic missile bound for the island was sent by mistake.
When the Hawaii Emergency Agency tweeted there was no missile threat, J.J. Spaun replied on Twitter, “In a basement under hotel”.
A short time later he tweeted that there had been a follow up text that there was no missile threat or danger to Hawaii.
Sen. Mazie Hirona, D-Hawaii, said the they “need to get to the bottom of what happened and make sure it never happens again”.
“Hawaii – this is a false alarm”, USA lawmaker Tulsi Gabbard, who represents the state, announced on Twitter. We didn’t immediately take action.
At a press conference hours after a false alert about a ballistic missile was sent, the administrator of Hawaii Office of Emergency Management (HI-EMA) said his team had been preparing for the worst-case scenario for months.
Hawaiian Governor David Ige apologized on Saturday for the “pain and confusion” caused by a false ballistic missile attack alert.
“We got our children, grabbed our emergency supplies, put them in our most enclosed room in our house which is our bathroom”.
“Everyone said, ‘What? What?’ You just can not process it so you just say, ‘What?’ I ran downstairs, yelling for my husband and we just said, ‘Well, what do we do?’ and we kind of went into hurricane mode”. “They left, ran into buildings and stuff”, she said.
“In the meantime, we were going on Facebook and reading tweets”, she said.
“On a going forward basis, we do intend to continue the monthly siren tests and other tests as we have done in the past”.
Jennifer and John Migas of Bloomington are vacationing at Ko Olina Beach, 20 minutes outside of Honolulu. “I thought ‘No, this is not happening today, ‘” Malapit said, adding he was still “a little freaked out” and feeling paranoid even after hearing it was a false alarm.
Miyagi, who said Hawaii would have only 12 to 13 minutes of warning in an actual attack, declined to say what action would be taken against the employee. The couple was sure the warning was real, as there were no sirens.
“I was concerned for about five seconds”, he said. “This is not a drill”, an accompanying voiceover told viewers. The message was reportedly sent out because of human error.