Houthi Ansarullah group’s website said at least 10 people were killed in the attack.
One suicide bomber reportedly detonated explosives inside the mosque and as people fled a second bomber set off explosives at the entrance.
A Houthi militant walks inside the al-Balili mosque after two bombings hit the mosque in Yemens capital Sanaa September 24, 2015.
Yemen’s branch of Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on Thursday claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing at a mosque in the Yemeni capital Sanaa that killed at least 25 people, according to a statement posted on social media.
President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi landed in Aden on Tuesday, airport sources said, returning to the southern port city for the first time since he escaped to Saudi Arabia as Houthi fighters closed in six months ago.
Last Monday, thousands of sympathizers of the Iran-backed rebels thronged Sanaa to mark a year since the rebel capture of the city that prompted Saudi-led air strikes.
The attack is the sixth in three months in which a mosque has been targeted. Two other people were wounded in the attack, residents reached by telephone said.
On March 26, Saudi Arabia began Operation Decisive Storm with airstrikes on the rebels after forging a coalition of nine countries to defend embattled Hadi.
Ibrahim Sharhan, a 23-year-old vegetable seller who owns a shop next to the mosque, said the explosions left a scene of carnage, with scattered body parts and puddles of blood on the ground.
Hadi was greeted by Prime Minister Khaled Bahah and several ministers who had returned to Aden last week to help set up an interim administration.
However the Houthis – Shia Muslim rebels from the north of the country – still control the capital.
“We rushed outside and summoned the ambulances”, one witness said.
The United States has waged a longstanding drone war against AQAP which it regards as the jihadist network’s most unsafe branch.