A government minister signalled last Thursday that Chris Brown won’t be allowed to tour Australia in December because of his criminal conviction for assaulting Rihanna.
At the same time, New Zealand has already issued a directive of Brown’s unsuitable entry into the country. In 2009, Brown violently assaulted his then-girlfriend Rihanna; he pleaded guilty and was consequently sentenced to five years probation and forced to fulfill 180 days of community service.
However, the decision on whether Brown should be granted visa to perform in Australia reportedly relies on Immigration Minister Peter Dutton. The immigration department will eventually decide whether to grant Brown a visa after his 28-day timeframe expires.
Even the Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull statement of making Australia to be known as a country, which treats women with respect, when he announced a A$100m domestic violence prevention package.
Earlier this week, the newly-appointed Australian Minister for Women, Michaelia Cash, strongly hinted at this afternoon’s announcement.
Chris Brown might travel the world on his tour, but it looks like he may have to skip over Australia. “And certainly, without pre-empting the decision of the minister, I can assure you it is something that the minister is looking at”. The actress, screenwriter and film producer Rebecca Valastro tweeted, “Feels good to be lucky enough to live in Australia, especially as government says -NO MORE domestic violence”.
This is not the first country to put a check on Brown’s entry, previously British jurisdiction and Canada has blocked him from staging in worry that he might create a threat to its natives. Brown has 28 days to appeal the notice.
Responding to a fan on Instagram, Brown said his entry had not been denied and his tour would indeed go ahead.
Australian officials issued the R&B singer with a notice of their intention to refuse his visa application on Friday night, according to reports.