Lancaster’s squad spent a fortnight at a training camp at high altitude in Denver in the USA last month before returning to England to continue their preparations at their main World Cup base, Pennyhill Park in Bagshot, Surrey. Do not expect the debate about the 26-year-old’s merits or his best position (centre of back row) to die down any time soon.
On that basis, Burgess will be ready for an global debut at the next World Cup rather than this one.
Semesa Rokoduguni, the Bath winger who was not even in England’s plans at the start of the summer, will retain his place in the World Cup training squad at the expense of Chris Ashton as Stuart Lancaster on Friday wields the knife. After a lull, his club form picked up and the lock won’t be jettisoned by Lancaster at this stage.
“Jonny has been the stand-out performer in the squad so far”, said Lancaster.
The 26-year-old is happy with Lancaster’s decision as he concentrates on surviving the reduction in the 45-man World Cup training squad on Friday.
Hooker Rob Webber added: “As these cuts have come and one’s obviously looming at the end of the week, people do get nervous but you have to put that to the back of your mind I suppose and keep working and trying to perform, which is what everyone’s done”. “I am not going to sit and wait there, there is still a lot of work to be done and a long way to go to get into the squad and be successful in that”.
Cowan-Dickie has been on Lancaster’s radar for a while, but George, by some distance the best line-out thrower in the squad, is the man with momentum. The Saracens star finished as the joint leading tryscorer at the 2011 World Cup but has only appeared twice in the past two years during the 2014 tour to New Zealand in which doubts about his defence resurfaced. For now, I just try to better myself daily because you never know when your journey is going to finish.
The Sale Sharks flyhalf earned an England recall in May but then was involved in a collision between his Mercedes and a Toyota in the Chelsea area of west London shortly after 5:00am (0400 GMT) on June 1.
Britain’s Press Association agency said Tuesday a police spokesman had told them that the 27-year-old Cipriani had been re-bailed to a date in mid-November pending further inquiries.
He was breathalysed and taken to a west London police station before being released on bail.