Spain manager Vicente del Bosque has heaped more woe on Chelsea striker Diego Costa after omitting the forward from his squad for the upcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers against Luxembourg and Ukraine, but Alvaro Morata and Nolito have made the cut.
“It’s not because he’s been playing badly”, Del Bosque said when explaining why Costa was omitted.
Chelsea say they are “extremely disappointed” by the Football Association’s decision to suspend striker Diego Costa for three games following his conduct in Saturday’s defeat of Arsenal.
But Costa insists Chelsea’s weakened team still did enough to win the game, adding: “We had the game under control”. Costa had previously struck Laurent Koscielny on the face and brought him to the ground. “That said, we mustn’t condone what he did; I didn’t like it, of course”. “‘You did that, you could do that, you could help your mate, I did that mistake but you could do a bit better to compensate for my mistake.’ We communicate openly”.
According to Jose Mourinho, the FA and media want the forward banned and will try and derail his season in any way possible.
Gabriel later had his ban rescinded and Costa was charged despite Mike Dean failing to send him off during the game.
Perhaps Del Bosque is telling the truth but it’s doubtful the Spain squad will miss him too much considering his recent poor form for club and country.
Spain tops Group C and can clinch qualification with a win against Luxembourg.