United States President Donald Trump and South Korean President Moon Jae-in agreed to revise a bilateral treaty that limits Seoul’s ballistic missile capabilities amid the threats posed by North Korea.
It came as the USA and South Korean forces were nearing the end of the 10-day annual Ulchi Freedom Guardian joint exercises, which the North regards as a rehearsal for invasion.
North Korea has launched several missiles toward Japan this year, with most falling in the Sea of Japan.
The US military shoots down a medium-range ballistic missile during a test off Hawaii, officials say, in a bid “to stay ahead of the threat” posed by North Korea.
Over the course of the 10-hour mission, the F-35Bs, B-1B bombers and Koku Jieitai fighters flew together over waters near Kyushu, Japan. Photo: August 31, 2017.
North Korea set a goal early this year of increasing its oil reserves to 1 million tons in anticipation of additional global sanctions, a Japanese newspaper reported Saturday, citing a Pyongyang source.
“The U.S. has been talking to North Korea, and paying them extortion money, for 25 years”, he tweeted Wednesday.
Footage was broadcast of tyrannical dictator Kim Jong-un watching Tuesday’s missile launch.
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders later repeated the American president’s policy that “all options are on the table”.
China repeated a call on Thursday for restraint by all parties.
Rodong Sinmun, the country’s propaganda rag, said the joint drills targeting TELs were “laughable”.
Abe has demonstrated some hesitancy in pursuing pre-emptive strike capabilities, but increased North Korean aggression may shift his thinking on this particular matter.
“It’s real, and is an huge and serious issue that directly involves the safety of people from both the north and south of the peninsula, as well as peace and stability of the entire region”.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said it was “presumed” to be a nuclear test, according to Yonhap.
“After analysing data provided by the Japan Meteorological Agency, the Japanese government concluded that North Korea has conducted a nuclear test”, Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono said in a live television broadcast. But the US-drafted statement did not threaten new sanctions.
Washington has consented and working level procedures are under way.
Earlier this month, the Security Council with 15 members unanimously approved new set of sanctions against North Korea in response to the two long-distance ballistic missiles tests in July.