“Because it is so well positioned for an American audience, we thought it was a flawless opportunity to engage the public in some of the science that’s going to happen”, said Tyler Jump, marketing manager for the center.
While NASA is no longer taking applications for official events, general events can still be added to the growing list of viewing parties, festivals, etc. Do not look through them unless they have a solar filter of their own installed.
Diameter-wise, the sun is about 400 times the size of the moon, and the distance of the moon from the sun is about 400 times the distance of the moon from the earth.
A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon completely blocks the Sun which reveals the Sun’s outer atmosphere-the corona. The last time a total solar eclipse occurred exclusively in the USA was in 1778. “Solar filters, such as eclipse glasses, provide protection from the sun’s rays and should be worn any time you are looking up at the eclipse”. NASA also warns it has no advice for how to safely take photos of the partial solar eclipse. This is when the moon covers the entire sun for a few fleeting minutes.
Rhode Island will be treated to a partial solar eclipse on the afternoon of Monday, August 21st.
Notre Dame also plans to give out glasses the day of the eclipse near the Jordan Hall of Science.
Another simple way to see the eclipse only involves two hands.
21, at 1:30 p.m., the moon will block out 91 percent of the midday sun in the Kankakee area, only leaving 9 percent of normal daylight. You can use either a map or your phone’s Global Positioning System to pinpoint your location and the app will tell you if you’re in the path of totality as well as when the eclipse will occur in your specific location.
“We can all appreciate and participate in the profound beauty, wonder and legacy of our universe”, Elizabeth Hendricks North, president and CEO of CuriosityStream, said in the statement.
That’s when a rare total solar eclipse will be visible in certain parts of the country – including here in the Quad Cities.
Where are you buying your eclipse glasses?