Two Nigerian soldiers were killed and two others injured as a landmine suspected to have been buried by Boko Haram detonated in the volatile Borno State, northeast Nigeria, military authorities said Friday.
He however informed the soldiers that “there is still more job to be done and we have to do this once and for all so that all of us can go back to our respective barracks and continue with our normal jobs and soldiers”.
The convoy later moved on to Ngala town where a large number of solders were met celebrating the liberation of the area.
The Army chief commended the soldiers and urged them to “keep on with the good job” they have been doing even as he said “there is more work to be done”.
“It should be recalled that the Nigerian Air Force had inflicted heavy damage on the terrorists’ camps within the general area last Monday”.
The Boko Haram members were immediately handcuffed. They feel belonged and we also feel being part of them.
The exercise paid-off with the arrest of six insurgents fleeing from their hideouts pretending to be herdsmen. The head of the family explained his wife had been shot by Boko Haram terrorists the previous days and he needed to take her and his sick child to the hospital.
In Dikwa, the chief of Army staff was welcome with cheers by over 4000 internally displaced persons from Gamboru and neighbouring towns, who were full of praise and prayers for him and the soldiers.
Speaking at an audience with Mr Mousa Faki Mahamat, Chadian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Special Envoy of President Idris Deby of Chad, President Buhari said that with higher morale among troops in the frontline against Boko Haram and their improved logistics, equipment and training, a rapid end to the insurgency could be expected.
Chief of army staff made a brief stop at Mafa, addressing the troops of the 112 battalion.
The chief of army staff and his team returned back to Maiduguri at about 4pm and departed the troubled city for Abuja.