North Atlantic Treaty Organisation says suicide auto bombing targeting convoy in Afghanistan killed 3
More than 60 people have been wounded and at least 12 are dead following a fatal vehicle bomb that exploded outside a hospital in the capital city of Kabul on Saturday, according to The Guardian.
The Afghan interior ministry says all those killed on Saturday were civilians, although local officials called them anti-Taliban militiamen.
In the months since the U.S. and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces officially ended their combat mission in December, the Taliban and other militant groups have intensified their attacks in many areas of the country. A Taliban-claimed suicide auto bombing targeting a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation convoy June 30 on the main highway to the Kabul airport wounded two U.S. soldiers and at least 24 others while killing two Afghan civilians.
On Might 17, a British safety contractor was killed when the armored automotive he was touring in for Eupol was hit by a suicide automotive bomber.
The group had also claimed responsibility for all attacks in Kabul and the northern Kunduz province at the weekend.
The Taliban is fighting to overthrow the foreign-backed government, expel foreign forces from Afghanistan and impose a strict interpretation of Islamic law.
But this weekend Kabul was devastated by a string of complex attacks that killed over 50 people and injured hundreds in the capital’s bloodiest day for years.
Xinhua reporter at the site of the deadly bombing saw that women and children are also among the casualties.
Glass was blown out of the windows of the Shinozada hospital and a six-storey building opposite.
While condemning the incident, the Taliban spokesperson said they will research to the bottom of the incident to expose the actual perpetrators of this attack.
A North Atlantic Treaty Organisation spokesman, U.S. Col. Brian Tribus, said three civilian contractors had been killed in the attack.