Chelsea have already had three bids rejected for Stones, worth a reported £20m, £26m and £30m, with Everton insistent that he isn’t for sale. Mourinho said that Stones would represent the Blues both as a long-term asset and a player who could play straight into the club’s first team.
“Asked specifically what the club’s response would be to a Stones transfer request, Martinez added: “There is nothing to comment on that”.
With Everton still not publicly softening their stance over Stones, the Daily Telegraph speculate that Chelsea might turn to Zenit St Petersburg defender Ezequiel Garay their their pursuit for the 21-year-old fails.
Chelsea have also confirmed German Marko Marin had joined Turkish side Trabzonspor on a season-long loan, with an option to purchase.
To make matters worse, Stones handed in a transfer request on Tuesday afternoon, although there are no suggestions as to whether it was accepted or not by the Toffees.
On Stones, Martinez said “it’s always the same questions, always the same answers – nothing to announce, or discuss”.
“But now with the transfer request, all that does is just tell everybody that he would like Everton to take the offer, if it’s acceptable, and he would like to move on”.
Or here’s our bestest friend Roberto Martinez ahead of Everton’s League Cup match against Barnsley (from whom, incidentally, they signed John Stones two years ago – where was all the outrage then?!).
Everton have been fairly quiet in the transfer market so far this summer but things are expected to pick up for the Toffees during the final week of the window.
That’s the only one I can speak about because he has been with us, we have permission from River Plate. And at this late stage of the transfer window, the Italian champions would be left with little or no time to replace him.