If CNBC, the sponsor of the next debate on October 28, decides to hold only one debate and limit the number of candidates who qualify, it would leave at least a few of the 15 candidates without a stage.
All candidates with a 3-percent average in the polls will make the main stage, with any tally above 2.5 percent being rounded up.
The undercard debate will include any candidates under the main-stage threshold who also have 1 percent in any qualifying poll. “It was hard for numerous candidates to get much airtime even in a three-hour debate, and the moderators were unable or unwilling to make sure that the candidates got roughly equal time”. If different polling standards are used, such as the standings in Iowa or New Hampshire, then Chris Christie and John Kasich could also being in danger of being kept off the stage.
The interesting thing about the main participants, besides the fact that Trump might well have Ben Carson on one side of him and Carly Fiorina on the other, is Rand Paul.
According to the current Real Clear Politics average, Sen.
“We have the most diverse and experienced field of candidates in history and we applaud CNBC’s efforts to ensure that all of our top candidates will have an opportunity to share their views with the American people”, RNC Chairman Reince Priebus said in a statement about the criteria. Nor are there any indications there will be an undercard event, as there have been in the first two debate showdowns of the primary season. “So now we’re in debate three it’s time to show viability and only the viable ones survive”, said Todd.
‘We look forward to seeing Senator Rand Paul on the main stage in Colorado, ‘ he told DailyMail.com on Wednesday.
CNBC’s John Harwood, Becky Quick, and Carl Quintanilla are set to host, with Rick Santelli, Jim Cramer, and Sharon Epperson on board as “questioners”.
Candidates had been anxious the network might opt for only one debate and squeeze out viable candidates from a chance to take the stage at all. Sen.
Republican National Committee spokesman and Chief Strategist Sean Spicer had floated the possibility of throwing out the undercard debate in an interview immediately after the second debate.