The first Test between Australia and Bangladesh was scheduled to begin in Chittagong on 9th October.
CA head of security Sean Carroll, team manager Gavin Dovey and team security manager Frank Dimasi were to meet with DFAT officials on Wednesday before briefing the CA board, management and players.
Cricket Australia (CA) has not yet announced its decision, but it has directed Australia’s Test squad to re-join their state squads for training as deliberations on the proposed tour of Bangladesh continue.
The attack came a day after Cricket Australia said it was delaying its departure to Bangladesh for an October tour due to government fears that militants may be planning to target Australian interests.
Bangladesh Cricket Board officials said they understood Australia’s concern but were sure the team would be safe and the tour would go ahead.
Aid worker Cesare Tavella was shot dead by gunmen on a motorbike on Monday evening in Dhaka’s diplomatic zone, the latest sign of growing extremism on the city’s streets after four liberal bloggers were hacked to death.
The US embassy urged Americans in Dhaka to restrict their movements after the shooting, citing an “increased threat” against USA citizens and facilities, although it did not elaborate.
After keeping up with Cricket Australia (Atomic number 20) professionals in Dhaka, Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said the Aussies would therefore… “The Bangladesh government has committed to additional security on top of the substantial and elaborate arrangements in the BCB’s standard Security Plan for global cricket. They will be given the necessary safety measures”.
Australia’s test cricketers have been sent back to their home states to train while awaiting a decision on whether their tour of Bangladesh will proceed amid increasing security concerns.
The governments of the United States, the United Kingdom and Canada have all followed suit in warning their citizens of possible militant attacks.
Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hassan and chief executive Nizam Uddin Chowdhury were present in the meeting too. “Nothing has happened since then for them (Australians) to put off or cancel their tour”.
Australian soccer has also been drawn into the crisis ahead of the Socceroos’ scheduled World Cup qualifier against Bangladesh in Dhaka on November 17.
“We’ve got a young team under a new captain very much looking forward to take the opportunities playing in sub-continental conditions”.
The U.S. is working with Bangladeshi authorities and other partners “to assess who is responsible for this cowardly attack” and bring them to justice, the US State Department said.