Chris Brown banned from Australia over Rihanna assault
Tickets to Brown’s upcoming show are scheduled to go on sale Monday, with shows in December.
Chris Bown’s application to take his “One Hell of a Nite” tour to Australia in December has been officially rejected by the country’s immigration minister, Peter Dutton. It is unclear whether he will appeal the decision.
In a statement, Mr Dutton says, “People to whom these notices are issued have 28 days to present material as to why they should be given a visa to enter Australia“.
The immigration department will decide whether to grant Brown a visa after the 28-day timeframe has expired.
Brown was placed on five years probation in 2009 after he pleaded guilty to one count of felony assault for hitting his girlfriend at the time, Rihanna. He was sentenced to parole and community service, but has had legal trouble stemming from other incidents since.
On Thursday, Australia’s Minister for Women, Senator Michaelia Cash, said the government were reviewing Brown’s application and were not afraid to turn him down.
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s first policy initiative since coming to power last week underscores the national debate that has erupted over family violence which is claiming lives at the rate of almost two women per week.
Chris Brown might travel the world on his tour, but it looks like he may have to skip over Australia.
Brown’s publicist has not yet commented on the issue.
Chris Brown has a month to make a case the Rihanna beating shouldn’t be a deal breaker in his bid to visit Australia.
The news coincides with a landmark government announcement that nearly 70 million U.S dollars would be put towards stopping domestic violence and violence against women in Australia.
Brown’s visa refusal comes after U.S. boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was denied entry to the country earlier this year for similar offences.