The Philippines’ deadliest storm on record is Super Typhoon Haiyan, which left more than 7,350 people dead or missing across the central part of the country in November 2013.
Both Vietnamese and global weather stations have predicted that the storm turned depression will directly affect the northern and northern central regions.
McCarthy says that while Hurricane Florence in the USA has been slow-moving, Mangkhut has been the opposite: “It was fast-moving, and these winds brought down power, transmission lines, damaged bridges”. None of them were alive, authorities said Monday.
Secretary for Security John Lee Ka-chiu described the damage as “serious and extensive” with the number of calls for help, or reports of injury, five times higher than in August a year ago when Super Typhoon Hato battered Hong Kong. Officials estimate 200 people were injured in Hong Kong.
A powerful ocean storm has caused many deaths and severe damage after hitting the Philippines, Hong Kong and Mainland China.
In Hong Kong, Mangkhut made high rises sway and shattered windows.
After ravaging northern Philippines and affecting at least 250,000 people, it moved to Hong Kong and Macau before entering southern China.
Residents, most of whom were holed up at home during the typhoon at the city shutdown, have been told to stay away from the coastline and be on alert for occasional gales.
But Lam said an arrangement of “mutual accommodation” was better suited to Hong Kong’s work ethic. “We have lost hope”, 40-year-old Mary Anne Baril, whose corn and rice crops were spoiled, told AFP.
The storm caused flooding and landslides on Luzon, particularly in the town of Itogon, Benguet, where landslides have killed at least 35 and left dozens missing, many of whom are believed to be buried under thick mud.
The government and casinos took extra measures ahead of the storm, determined to avoid a repeat of Typhoon Hato which battered Macau previous year, killing 12 people and drawing accusations the city was ill prepared.
“We are anxious they might already be dead”, Palangdan said, that fellow miners who are familiar with the area have volunteered to help in the search-and-rescue efforts.
Stock and financial markets opened as normal on September 17 in Hong Kong and the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen. You can further help us by making a donation.
In preparation for the storm, southern China evacuated hundreds of thousands of people, suspended high-speed rail services and cancelled classes. Four people died in northeastern Cagayan province, where the typhoon made landfall.
The state broadcaster also said flood warnings had been issued for 38 rivers in the neighboring region of Guangxi, while 12 coastal monitoring stations reported their biggest-ever waves.
In Macau, next door to Hong Kong, casinos were ordered to close from 11 p.m. Saturday, the first time such action was taken in the city, the South China Morning Post reported. “It will be better if we have heavy equipment. but it’s not possible because the path going down is only wide enough for people to pass”.
A man wades through flood water in Jiangmen, in China’s Guangdong province on Monday.