The 23-year-old’s transfer had been in some doubt in the final hours of the transfer window as bids were turned away, flights were cancelled and the player was even involved in a minor auto crash.
Middlesbrough are in talks with Uruguayan side Nacional over the signing of midfielder Carlos De Pena, Sky Sources understand.
Middlesbrough have secured the signing of Uruguayan winger Carlos de Pena on a three-year deal after a dramatic deadline day pursuit.
He can play on either flank and has scored 10 goals in 53 games for the club.
The 23-year-old was desperate to move to England, so much so that he went to Montevideo airport on Monday night without permission from his club Nacional.
The left winger could line up opposite fellow Uruguayan, internationally-capped forward Cristhian Stuani, who has made most of his Boro appearances so far on the right-hand side after joining from La Liga side Espanyol this summer.
Nacional president Eduardo Ache said he had asked De Pena not to leave.
“The damage has been already done”. Thankfully, the attacker and his mum escaped injury and, after his club finally agreed to the (three-year) deal, the youngster got back in his auto and drove straight to the airport once again, before winging his way to the North-East.
Tim Vickery, South American football expert, told BBC Radio 5 live: “On Monday, the club got a call from his agent saying he is on his way to England”.