A surf photographer in the water during the shark attack on Mick Fanning has recalled his lone 50-metre swim to shore.
Mick Fanning is now back on the water after surviving a terrifying shark attack while competing in the J-Bay Open surf competition in South Africa on Monday.
The three-time world champion posted a picture of himself on a beach with a surfboard under his arm on Saturday morning. He’s the real thing: his shark-wrestling exploits were broadcast live.
Speaking after the shark attack, Fanning, 34, said: “I was just cruising, just waiting for my turn, my opportunity”.
“It was so close”. “I haven’t got a scratch on me”. It’s more of an emotional, mental trauma right now.
Although the number of shark attacks is still very small, in Australia it is rising – five people were killed in the 12 months to February.
Fanning was laughing and joking just moments after his brush with the shark. Fanning reportedly said Wilson “had the qualities to lead the next generation of Australian surfers” years ago.
“I’ve been free-diving with sharks before”, he said.
“The boats were gone so I needed to get in”, he said.
“I’m just so grateful Mick is OK, and I know Sean was looking after him”.
“I was getting dragged under by leg rope and then I felt like it kicked me off, but it was still there attached to my board”. “I just saw fins”.
He added: “Surfed by myself but had Andy in my thoughts”.
Wilson seemed embarrassed to learn that he had been recommended for a bravery award by his home state of Queensland.
Fanning agreed Wilson’s support, and the quick reaction of the rescue boats and jet skis, helped him out of danger.